Kalamata Olive Bread with Gorg & Walnuts

Kalamata Olive Bread with Gorg & Walnuts

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Making KPK Te de Canela

Making KPK Te de Canela for a crowd.  Grab your biggest pot. I use a 16 quart Farberware. One of my faves. Fill it almost to the top with cold water. Toss in a huge bunch (a few handfuls) of fresh basil, about 2 1/2 cups of sugar (I use organic) and 20-25 Mexican cinnamon sticks. Canela! You can find Canela in most grocery stores in the aisle with the bags of dried peppers and other spices; this is usually in the ethnic aisle or the Hispanic aisle of aromatics! Inexpensive, large cinnamon sticks that don't even smell like cinnamon when you rip open the bag (?) I was shocked because there was no aroma wafting under my nose like you would expect when you open a bag of "ordinary" cinnamon. It actually smelled kind of like dill. I was like, huh? Then I was like WT? JK. I think the canela is much more mild and mellow for tea. Slightly citrusy even.The flavor AND the AROMA blossom after boiling the sticks in water and then steeping. I love this tea. I especially love it with a nice big squirt of fresh lime. We serve this at the market with a fresh squeeze and then we throw in the scrunched lime wedge along with a fresh basil leaf. The lime adds a nice fresh and tart twang to the sweeter, heavier flavor of cinnamon. So, back to what you need to do. Stir the pot (I happen to know some pot-stirrers). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a low boil/high simmer for about 20 minutes or until the cinnamon sticks unroll and the tea becomes a nice dark amber color. All of the basil will be wilted. Let cool, strain and reheat later or strain into a cup right away, add lime (or lemon) if you wish (and/or honey would be great if it's not too sweet). Enjoy. For me, one delicious cup delivered not only a lovely treat, but a full-blown mock-hormonal hot flash. Hey, I don't make this _ _ _ _ up. Have a fab day today and once it gets a bit colder out there, indulge in some Te de Canela. We promise our customers at the market that it will be sure to warm their cockles. I know. I overuse that word.

Notes: If you don't like sugar. Go without. I like it. : ) - or use less . . .

Also: I have made this tea with fresh mint, but I like the basil betta! P.S. This was inspired by a phone call from Franki telling me that he was having a cup of wonderful tea that one of the cooks threw together at Fio's while working in the kitchen. I tried it with ordinary cinnamon and I think I made it a bit too strong. After a speedy Google-fied hot cinnamon tea research blast, I found my way to the Mexican Canela at the grocery store. And she lived happily ever after.

Oh, also, I have done much cinnamon research in the past after being intrigued by a Fine Cooking article which had me taste-testing and baking with Chinese vs. Indonesian vs. Viet Namese Cassia Cinnamons. Too much to talk about here. Let's just say it turned me into kind of a Cinnamon snob-freak for a moment of time. Someday, I can bake you a batch of Espresso & Chocolate Mini Chip Cookies with Chinese Cassia Cinnamon (I think I like long names). They rock. Really, they do.

OK. I'm done.

Cinnamon Love to All, um, I meant . . .
Canela Amor to All, (don't hate me cuz I'm bilingual)

Katie



1 comment:

  1. Katie Mexican Cinnamon is actually Ceylon Cinnamon. In fact Mexico is the biggest importer of Ceylon Cinnamon from the tiny Island of Sri Lanka. Te de Canela only works if made with Mexican or Ceylon Cinnamon. Like you said it is very mild but I would say more aromatic. Very different to Cassia Cinnamon. Higher quality Ceylon Cinnamon will of course taste better and smell better. Not all Ceylon Cinnamon is the same quality. When you add the lime to the boiled Ceylon Cinnamon sticks it becomes pretty sweet, which is quite surprising since there is no sugar in it. This is great for diabetics or people who can’t take sugar. This techniques does not work with ordinary Cassia Cinnamon, which is too spicy and fairly harsh. Only Ceylon Cinnamon gives it that wonderful taste combination. Also remember many Mexican stores are selling the hard bark Cassia Cinnamon. They have forgotten what real Cinnamon is like. Mexican or Ceylon Cinnamon sticks are soft and crumbly. But great job Katie. Lovely descriptions and so true.

    ReplyDelete

Mediterranean Fish Stew

Mediterranean Fish Stew
A KPK cross between Spanish style Cod and French Boullabaisse

Smoky Spanish Albondigas Soup

Smoky Spanish Albondigas Soup

Summer Vegetable Soup

Summer Vegetable Soup
aka "Got-To-Go" Soup, inspired by Louie

MORE 4 U

From here, you can continue scrolling down to check out some of my favorite dishes and KPK highlights.

For more posts (articles), recipes, stories and pictures, you can scroll up (in the right column under "What You Missed") and click on 2008, 2009 2010, 2011, 2012 or 2013. As of June, 2013, there are are total of 139 posts in KPK. You can spend more time here when you know where to look, right?! Another way to enjoy my kitchen is to click on any items of interest in the section entitled "Passion Posts", also up above in the right column.

Love, Katie ~ I am so glad you're here! Stay awhile!

Super Healthy Salad

Super Healthy Salad
. . . featuring Roasted Rutabagas (or Swede Turnips, if you wish)

Grilled Corn with Tarragon Cream

Grilled Corn with Tarragon Cream
Click on the image to link to a simple and lovely recipe at Fine Cooking

Cinnamon Pecan Katies

Cinnamon Pecan Katies
Yes I Did

Forbidden Rice Salad

Forbidden Rice Salad
Black "Forbidden Rice" from China is delicious and loaded with antioxidants

Pasta with Hot Pancetta, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Parmesan & Power Greens

Pasta with Hot Pancetta, Potatoes, Tomatoes, Parmesan & Power Greens

Indian Carrot Salad

Indian Carrot Salad

Fluffy Milk Chocolate Mini Cupcakes with Softly Whipped Cocoa Cream

Fluffy Milk Chocolate Mini Cupcakes with Softly Whipped Cocoa Cream

Asparagus & Mozzarella Frittata

Asparagus & Mozzarella Frittata

Grilled Eggplant is Layered Up for an Eggplant Gratin with Fresh Basil and 4 Cheeses

Grilled Eggplant is Layered Up for an Eggplant Gratin with Fresh Basil and 4 Cheeses

Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes

Oven Roasted Plum Tomatoes

Oven Roasted Herb Butter Turkey Breast, Gemstone Potatoes & Buttery Peas

Oven Roasted Herb Butter Turkey Breast, Gemstone Potatoes & Buttery Peas

Egg Ribbon Salad with Pancetta & Shaved Parmesan

Egg Ribbon Salad with Pancetta & Shaved Parmesan

Fresh Strawberry Slices & Whole Raspberries tucked into cream cheese frosted vanilla cupcakes

Fresh Strawberry Slices & Whole Raspberries tucked into cream cheese frosted vanilla cupcakes

Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops

Bacon Wrapped Sea Scallops
an outdoor grill regular at the crib

Smokin' Beets

Smokin' Beets

Roasted Beet & Potato Salad

Roasted Beet & Potato Salad

Rosemary Flatbread

Rosemary Flatbread

"Hola" from Mi Pueblo, San Jose, CA

"Hola" from Mi Pueblo, San Jose, CA

Rapini Frittata

Rapini Frittata

Healthy Portabella

Healthy Portabella

Italian Tuna & Cannellini Bean Salad with D'Amato's Focaccia

Italian Tuna & Cannellini Bean Salad with D'Amato's Focaccia

Fried Asparagus

Fried Asparagus

Day Off Breakfast

Day Off Breakfast
Boiled Eggs & Whole Grain Toast ~ Simple Pleasures are the BEST!

Last Minute Lentil Soup

Last Minute Lentil Soup
with carrots, celery, and a little kale . . . topped with a heap of conchigliette pasta and parmigiano reggiano

A Sampling of Christmas

A Sampling of Christmas
KPK Pecan Shortbread Cookies and Almond Cookies